Monday, June 6, 2011

A fall at Kronberg Castle

Our first stop on our way to Copenhagen after we left the ferry from Sweden, was Helsingor, the home of Kronberg Castle.  It was built in 1420 as a fortress and is the model for Shapkespeare´s Elsinor in Hamlet and sits on the Sound, the body of water between Sweden and Denmark.  Complete with a moat and drawbridge, the buildings form a square around a huge courtyard.  You can visit the underbelly of the castle where the soldiers would hunker down during a seige and prisoners would be housed. 

While everyone was exploring the dungeons, I waited for them to return because I didn't think I could navigate the stairs (a good call, David informed me later).  But as I headed toward the doorway to the courtyard to talk to a museum staff member, I was looking up to see where she was and totally missed that there was a big step down so down I went, flat on my face, actually my knees.  The staff member and others helped me up, sat me in a chair to recover and even brought me water.  Meanwhile, everyone in our group was looking for me and couldn´t see that I was in a foyer out of sight from the courtyard.

I´m glad I´m writing this a few days later because now I know I am just fine and the trip isn´t ruined because I can´t walk.  Just some bruises and such and now my "good" knee isn't so good!  And now I've had my fall for the trip so that should be it! 

2 comments:

  1. I have been posting comments but I think I have been doing it wrong. Anyhow, what a story about your fall. Jane, I can remember another fall in Mason Michigan when you were a Senior in High School. Take care of yourself and I will figure out how to send these comments again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that was some time ago, Cheryl. I fall down quite often, I guess beginning early in life.

    ReplyDelete