Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You can make decent chilli in Mullsjö Sweden

Most week-ends we travel, so we aren't affected by the fact that no meals are served here at the school on the week-ends, beginning Friday evenings.  So, last Friday I cooked chili and baked brownies to be served on Saturday evening to the 7 MSSU students and David and me.  First, a trip to the grocery store, which thankfully was facilitated by Janna, a teacher at the Folkhogskola, driving me to the store and helping me find things.  It took a long time to locate everything I needed.  Then, I started cooking.  That was a problem because the stove, located in a kitchen in a student lounge area in one of the dorm buildings, wouldn´t turn on.  I even found instructions, which were in both Swedish and English, but they didn´t help.Finally, I found two of the students who had cooked on that stove and found out there was a timer that had to be turned on.  Apparently some mishaps have occurred in which someone turned on the stove and left it on.  So there is a timer that has to be set every thirty minutes for the stove and the oven.

Once I got that problem solved, everything went smoothly.  I was sure I had more chili than even 10 people could eat - our friend Edina, a volunteer at Folkhogkola from Hungary, joined us.  But all of it was consumed.  The brownies were kind of a wierd consistency - the flour seemed more like pancake mix - who knows - but everyone got fed and we had a good time talking with Edina from Hungary about what different English words mean.  Like "zip lock"  "snack" can´t remember what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment